Sunday, July 05, 2009

More mountains and cows

Oh sweet taste of happiness, there is little that can match days in the mountains. I spent some days in Hamar (which is a town, for all you ignorant foreigners, haha) after the last blog post about cows and mountain, but took the train back to the mountain side after a few days. One of the first things I did when I got up there was to sit down and pee in the wilderness - there is nothing like bowing down to the grass and heather and feeling the wind on your naked butt. The ultimate sense of freedom. (Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the event...)

My mum and I went walking and climbing the mountain one day. It was steep and we took seven hours. I felt almost like Greg Mortenson from the extraordinarliy inspirational book I am currently reading, "Three Cups of Tea" (a must-read about a climber who builds schools for girls in areas surrounding the Himalayas).

Here is mum climbing:

And taking a small break, admiring the fantastic view:


I honestly wasn't sure if I was going to make it, since I am terribly unfit from the city life of Durban - but here I am, on the top:

My parents have a small mountain cabin, where we stayed. It has no running water or electricity. Somehow that has a healing effect on me. I get this deep deep feeling of contentment when I am there. It was my duty to fetch water from the well (just a few metres from the door, so it is an easy task) while my mum poured bark in the outdoor toilet to prevent bad smell. As long as we go down to civilisation to do laundry (especially jeans, which I think are a hassle to handwash), I really enjoy the simple mountain life. Although it was great to come back to the village and have a hot shower, I'm not gonna lie about that :-)

Here I am outside the cabin:
We had cows here too. One morning we found a calf who was only 1-2 days old.
Isn't he cute? He was just the most adorable little thing. His mum had left him and gone with the flock, so we were a little nervous she would not come back. But in the evening she came, mooing loudly. The calf drank his milk happily, and gained enough strength to walk with his mum a short distance until she hid him again.


I must also include some pictures of my grandfather. He was 96 years old in February, but still amazingly fit.

We walked to the cabin he has built:



Well, that's probably all the cows and mountains I'll experience this vacation. I now have some days in civilisation again (of which the greatest pleasure, besides hot showers, is the internet!) before I head back to Durban.

No comments: