Monday, June 22, 2009

Cows and mountains

I'm home in Norway, enjoying the cold weather (it's supposed to be summer, but i'm not convinced) and the fresh air. We went on a small mountain trip today and it was lovely. Check the hail storm (and the cows; they came running down the field to find shelter under the trees)!
I am glad to say that we had already sought shelter under the roof of the veranda of a small mountain ranch, watching the hail storm without getting wet and enjoying our lunch pack, hot tea and chocolate.

I loved the freshness - although it doesn't look like I do, but it was really windy and cold even behind the shelter of this landmark at the top, so it's hard to smile and look happy.
This is me, my cousin's daugther Siri and my mum - three fit ladies who wouldn't be beaten by the weather. Come thunder, wind, rain or hail - we made it to the top! (ok, it is a small top and nothing much to brag about, but still, I haven't been outside for so long in a while, so let me just be proudly happy)
And we made it down again too. Here is me and my cousin's two children. We have just climbed the "gate" you can see in the background, and now we can almost see the car waiting to take us back home.

This is why I have to go to Norway each (northern hemisphere-) summer. The air is so fresh and clean; my wasted Durban city lungs are utterly confused and happy. Drinking the tap water here in my parents' village has the same confusing effects on my taste buds, which are too used to the chlorine water of Durban. When I first came to Durban, I had to dilute the tap water with bottled water so that I could drink it without puking. Walking in the mountain and breathing mountain air is like buying spring water - for the lungs. And the sense of freedom!! I love South Africa, but this freedom cannot be replaced - not for all the elephants in the world.

No comments: