Saturday, June 09, 2007

Minister, I strike because I have no other choice

Det streikes i offentlig sektor i Sor-Afrika for tida. Her er et leserinnlegg fra Cape Argus som jeg syntes var bra:

I strike in honour of the men and women who selflessly pioneered unionism, often at great risk to themselves and their families, in their bid to keep the greed of their bosses in check, and in the process providing a voice for workers. I honour these men and women because without their efforts we would still be working 14-hour days, large corporations would still be using child labour in the ongoing quest to maximise profits, and labour laws as we know it, would not exist.

I strike because I understand that it is in your best interest to pay me as little as possible for as long as possible, all the while trying to extract as much from me as possible. I also need to fight your greed and hypocrisy. I strike because not doing so would rob me of my dignity and self-respect. I strike because morally, there really is no other choice. Minister Fraser-Moleketi, as I pen this letter, there's yet another petrol hike and an expected increase in the interest rate.

It is also generally accepted that the salaries of teachers and other public servants have progressively regressed in relation to other sectors, a situation that is compounded by continuous measly increases. And within this context, you wish for me to accept the offer of a 6% increase? Minister, are you not meant to serve? As such, are you and your ilk not public servants too? Why then is it okay for you to accept staggering increases in excess of 30% (not the first time), while I must be satisfied with yet another insulting offer?

Minister, I struggle to follow your reasoning, and I'm almost sure there is an element of hypocrisy at play here. No, I do not want 50%, or even 20% for that matter. All I want is a reasonable 12%. I do not wish to listen to you intellectualising about why it is that I should be contented with your offer. Do not appeal to my cognitive senses, when you have absolutely no interest in meeting my basic needs. Do not speak to me about "multi-term" agreements, and how I may benefit in the distant future, when my need is now!

Appease my basic needs and, perhaps, then I may be more inclined to listen to the grand scheme you have mapped out for my future. How is it possible that in a country like ours with its violent history, where people have sacrificed their lives and others have toiled in prison for years, there are those among us who haven't walked a single step in protest against injustice? I'm sure though that when it comes to reaping the benefits of our struggle, these people will not be very far behind in gleefully accepting their share of the spoils.

So, Madam Minister, in spite of some of my colleagues failing me, I strike not because I enjoy it, and certainly not because I'm reckless. I strike because it is incumbent on me to do so, and because you leave me no other choice …

*Envil Wertheim, Aloe High School, Mitchell's Plain

No comments: