Thursday, November 23, 2006

The TRIP

We left Durban at 10 pm on Saturday, and arrived Park Station in Joburg at 5am the next morning. It was freezing cold. Here is me at the Park Station - eating my last South African Wors (en veldig god polse) for a while:


Our bus from Joburg, South Africa to Mzuzu, Malawi should leave from outside the station, and around 8 am we walked to Vaal Africa (the bus company). Chris had a lot of luggage, and one guy helped him carry all the stuff. It was raining and the guy moved fast, so I came running a bit after the guys. It wasn't a friendly experience - some guys threw empty cans after me and shouted some stuff I didn't understand... Well, well. The bus was very late. We were suppoed to leave at nine, but the bus had some problems so we waited for another bus to come from Maseru (Lesotho). We left at 4 pm. After having waited in 11 hours in Joburg, it was a relief to be on the road again.

We arrived the border to Zimbabwe around midnight if I'm not mistaken. It was so beautiful to walk under the stars. I had to pay for my visa although Norwegian citizens are allowed free visas to Zimbabwe. But the guy behind the desk didn't agree, so what could I do? I just had to pay.

Zimbabwe was dry. I saw only two big fields/plantations - I guess most of them are in the west? They were using big tractors. Some farmers at smaller fields were using oxes. And women were using their handheld equipment everywhere where there was some extra space. Everyone was waiting for rain. Here is Zim:


A big baboon was chasing another baboon across a field - they were really big and scary. I was glad I was inside the bus... We also saw antilopes grassing near the road.

The boarder crossing to Mozambique gave me trouble. They refused to give me a transit visa, and said that there was some new rules saying that transit visa could only be issued at embassies. So then I asked for a tourist visa, but the guy behind the desk said that since my purpose of visit was transit, he could give me a tourist visa. He said I had to go back to Harare and apply at the embassy. I soon realised that I couldnt get anywhere with him, so I called the bus driver and handed the case over to him. So I sat down in the shadow of a tree, and waited and waited, and waited, and waited.

Ok, this thing doesnt want to cooperate anymore. Let me publish this, and try to write another post afterwards.

No comments: